The power that brunch holds over so many in the Washington, DC area is incredible. Don’t misunderstand me, I am in no way complaining about the popularity of brunch since I love it myself. It’s more the fascination of how many of us plan our Sundays around where we’ll be sitting down for brunch. Over the last couple weeks we decided to ask as many people as we could to give us their favorite item to order at brunch, and this is what they said:
1. It may come as no surprise Eggs Benedict ran away with being the most popular item ordered at brunch.
— Rin Maloney (@LadyLikeDC) April 30, 2014
2. Though several people stuck to foods, Mimosas were included in several answers. How could you not have a Mimosa with brunch? And for those that walk on the dangerous side. you might want to try….
— C.A. Spivey Rountree (@Chic_Heroine) April 30, 2014
3. Belgium Waffles with whipped cream and fruit or just plain old maple syrup were both listed as favorites – as long as the waffles were included.
4. Chicken and Waffles
5. Shrimp and Grits
— Virginialicious (@Virginia_Delish) May 4, 2014
6. French Toast done in a variety of different ways; we even heard stuffed with brie as an option.
7. A hand-crafted Bloody Mary with all the fixings. We heard from a couple people that they enjoy hearing about what each bar does to craft their drink, so a note to bartenders, share your secrets!
8. Huevos Rancheros, I’m convinced they were expecting we’d rank this higher when each response came back with, “you know, because of the guacamole”.
The exclusion of both pancakes and a “country breakfast” (eggs, bacon, and toast) were a bit surprising, then again this wasn’t a scientific poll from a large percentage of people in the DC area.
What is your brunch favorite?
Cheers to brunch!
Scott & Al